This bright green sauce is super quick, simple and versatile. You can use it to top off roast veg, chicken, fish grilled tofu, pasta, or even as a salad dressing. It also works very well as a dip for fresh veggies or falafels.
Jump to Recipe
Plant-based cheesy sauce with red lentils and cashews
Cashews add creaminess, nutritional yeast adds a delicious cheesy umami flavour, and red lentils add texture, protein and extra fiber. Use it as a pasta sauce (mac & cheese anyone?) or a topping for roast veg.
- 50 g cashew nuts about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 – 3 tbsp nutritional yeast depending on how cheesy you like it!
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup milk of choice more or less depending on how runny you want your sauce
- salt to taste
- Cover the cashews with 150 ml boiled water and soak until needed. Do not discard the water.
- Place the lentils in a pot or microwaveable dish, add 1 cup boiling water and a pinch of salt, then cook until soft (about 7 minutes in the microwave or 10 minutes on the stove top).
- Peel the garlic and add it to a blender along with the paprika, turmeric, nutritional yeast, cooked lentils, and cashews (add the water as well).
- Blend on high until smooth, then add milk in small amounts until desired consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and serve! Delicious with pasta, zoodles or even roast veg.
Nutritional information per portion (1/6th of the recipe) 131 kcal; 4.5g fat; 15.6g carbohydrate; 6.4g fiber; 8.4g protein.