This easy Mexican-inspired quesadilla recipe is packed with flavour, fiber, and plant-based protein. You can serve it with a chopped salad and some oven-baked chips or veggies. A blob of plain Greek yoghurt also goes very well with this dish.
The recipe is customizable to pretty much any veggies you have on hand, and you can be creative with the spices. Taste and adjust seasoning according to taste.
You can use pretty much any beans for this dish! Red kidney beans or black beans work well, but anything goes.
Bean & veggie quesadillas
- 4 whole-wheat tortilla wraps
- olive or canola oil cooking spray or substitute with 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red or yellow onion Thinly sliced
- 1 red, yellow or green bell pepper seeds removed, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 400g can beans, e.g. red kidney beans Any beans work well
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, ground cumin, paprika, oregano more or less to taste
- 2 tbsp chili sauce (e.g. Sriracha) more or less to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese of choice plant-based cheese for vegan
- Heat a large non-stick pan and spray well with cooking spray.
- Add the onion & bell-pepper and cook until the onion is translucent. Add a splash of water if the onion starts to stick.
- Add the mushrooms, frozen corn, beans, spices and sauce and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked to your liking. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, then remove the bean filling from the pan and wipe the pan clean.
- Place a tortilla wrap on the pan on high heat and allow to toast for a minute or so. Place 1/4 of the filling + 1/4 of the grated cheese on the wrap and fold over. The wrap should be brown, firm and toasty. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining wraps.
- Serve with a chopped salad & roast veg or oven-baked chips. A blob of plain yoghurt goes well with this dish.