Quick and easy but seriously delicious, these vegetarian chickpea and sweet potato patties are flavoured with turmeric, paprika, and optional chili. The sweet potato adds a wonderful sweet taste and creamy texture.
You can serve the patties with a salad on the side for a light meal, or as part of an Indian-themed dinner. I like to serve them next to an aubergine curry, along with some raita. You could also pack them into your lunch box with some fresh veggies and dip.
The patties are gluten-free, and can be made vegan by substituting the egg with a flax egg. They are suitable for a diabetes diet or heart health diet as they are free from added sugars, high in fiber, and low in saturated fat.
P.S. if you like this recipe, let me know in the comments below! You may also like my Peanut Satay Chickpea Curry recipe.
Spiced chickpea & sweet potato patties
- 1 can chickpeas drained and mashed roughly with a fork (NB not blended, see notes)
- 4 medium peeled sweet potatoes (about 400 g) microwaved or boiled until soft and then mashed
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 red or yellow onion very finely chopped
- 1 large egg or replace with one flax egg for Vegan
- 1 handful fresh herbs, such as parsley or coriander chopped roughly
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp each paprika + turmeric you could experiment with other spices like cumin or coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder optional
- 1 red / green chili, seeds removed and finely chopped optional – omit if you don't like spicy. You could use chili powder or sauce instead
- Mix all of the ingredients together until well-combined. Do not use a blender as this will yield a batter that is too sloppy.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium and fry spoonfuls of the batter to make small patties. I like to take a heaped tablespoon per patty. Fry until golden, about 1 – 2 minutes per side. You can certainly oven-bake these if you prefer.
- Enjoy! They pair well with cucumber raita and salad or a vegetable curry.