Pumpkin fritters (or ‘pampoen koekies‘ as we call them in Afrikaans) is one of my all time favourites. Although usually served as a side to meat and veggies in a traditional Afrikaans home, they are typically quite sweet and desert-like.
I’ve made the traditional South African pumpkin fritters several times, but most recipes require a lot of sugar, flour, and oil for deep-frying. This is fine, but it might not feel great to eat these delicacies on a regular basis.
I experimented with several tweaks to the traditional recipes for these fritters, but battled to find a combination that works. When I decreased the flour, they fell apart. When I tried to fry them in less oil, they stuck to the pan like mad. I pretty much gave up on trying to create a lighter version. Until I started experimenting with oats as a replacement for flour in pancakes, and realized how amazingly well it works! This led to the discovery of the most amazing flour-less pumpkin fritter recipe.
The recipe can be made gluten-free (if necessary) by using gulten-free oats. I use 1 – 2 teaspoons of honey for sweetness, but you can replace with sugar or a sweetener of your choice if you prefer. You can increase the sweetness a bit if you have a very sweet tooth.
These healthy pumpkin fritters can be served as a side dish, as a breakfast with some fruit and yoghurt, or as a snack.
They are so easy to make, and hold together incredibly well. They do burn quite easily though, so cook them slowly on a low-to-medium heat before flipping.
P.S. please leave me a comment if you made these, and let me know what you think.
Lighter flourless pumpkin fritters (pampoen koekies)
- 1.5 cups cooked mashed pumpkin or butternut about 1/2 of a medium butternut
- 3/4 cup oats gluten free if necessary
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 – 2 tsp honey or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- splash of milk if needed
- Blend everything together in a Nutribullet (or equivalent powerful blender) until completely smooth. Add a splash of milk or two if your batter is to thick to blend.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat (not too hot or they will burn before cooking through!), spray with non-stick spray, then fry spoonfuls of the batter. Flip the fritters when the bottom is golden brown – you might have to use two spatulas to lift and flip each fritter. Squeeze each fritter gently with the back of a spatula to help them to cook through. Remove from the pan when the fritters are golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Serve! See notes on serving suggestions.
Healthy flour-less pumkin fritters pampoen koekies with oats Healthy flour-less pumkin fritters pampoen koekies with oats Healthy flour-less pumkin fritters pampoen koekies with oats Healthy flour-less pumkin fritters pampoen koekies with oats Healthy flour-less pumkin fritters pampoen koekies with oats Healthy flour-less pumkin fritters pampoen koekies with oats Healthy flour-less pumkin fritters pampoen koekies with oats