Packed with fiber, protein, and veggies, this nutritious meal is a perfect start to your day. It is also a quick and easy meal to throw together for a light lunch.
A whopping 12 g of fiber per bowl with 20 g of protein, this dish will keep you going for hours.
If you are skeptical of eating your oats in a savoury way, give this recipe a go. It will likely be your new favourite way of eating your oats.
Resembling a risotto, this savoury dish is flavoured with oregano, thyme, onions and grilled mushrooms. This meal is perfect for a healthy and satisfying breakfast, a great way to up your veggie intake for the day! It works well for a light meal too.
Savoury oats with grilled mushrooms and fried egg
- 250 g mushrooms of choice
- 1 tbsp olive / canola oil or non-stick spray
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 cm fresh ginger grated (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tsp each oregano + thyme + paprika you can go wild and explore with different herbs / spices
- 1 cup oats
- 3 cups boiled water
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup green peas
- non-stick cooking spray (e.g. Spray & Cook)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 avocado, sliced plain yoghurt is a delicious substitution
- Preheat your oven grill. Toss the mushrooms with some salt and pepper, then get them roasting for 15-20 minutes or so, until golden and nutty. See notes on using the stove-top instead.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium non-stick pot and fry the onions until translucent. Add splashes of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the spices, the garlic & ginger, and the oats. Stir around for 15 seconds or so, then add the boiled water. Turn the heat to low-medium, and until the oats have thickened to your liking. Season to perfection with salt and pepper.
- When the mushrooms come out from the grill tip them into the oat mixture, and add the peas.
- Spray a non-stick pan well with non-stick spray, heat, then fry the eggs to your liking. A poached or soft-boiled egg would work very well too.
- Share the oats into two bowls, top with a fried egg and a few avocado slices, and enjoy!