I love adding veggies / beans to baked goods – it’s a sneaky way to up your fiber intake and meet your 5-a-day! And while I have no problem with eating “the real deal”, it feels really great to eat nutritious foods that are packed with goodness (especially if they taste incredible – like these goodies do!).
If you love black-bean brownies, you will love these decadent but nutritious treats! They are incredibly moist, deliciously sweet, and packed with plant-based power.
I’m not going to lie – I was pretty skeptical of using chickpeas in a dessert AT FIRST. But these blondies completely blew my mind. You would NEVER guess that they contain chickpeas.
Here’s a quick video of me making them:
For those with an allergy / intolerance: the blondies are egg- and dairy-free, wheat free, and gluten-free (if gluten-free oats are used).
You can serve these as a snack, a tea-time treat, or as a dessert paired with some fresh fruit and a blob of plain yoghurt. Enjoy!
Choc-chip blondies (with oats & chickpeas)
- 1 can chickpeas about 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup oats gluten-free if necessary
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 med ripe banana
- 1/4 cup peanut butter or any nut butter or tahini
- 1/4 cup honey / sugar / granulated sweetener of choice honey is good for extra flavour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- If needed: splash of any milk (up to 1/4 cup) if your batter is too thick to blend
- 1/3 cup chocolate-chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas very well. This will ensure that your end product does not have a 'beany' taste.
- Blend all of the ingredients, except for the choc-chips, together in a powerful blender until completely smooth. If the batter is struggling to blend, add a splash of milk.
- Stir in the choc-chips, reserving a few for decorating. Pour the mixture into a prepared oven dish, about 20 X 20 cm (or two smaller 15 X 15 cm pans).
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven. A knife inserted in the center WILL NOT come out clean. Let them cool for about 30 minutes before cutting, they will firm up but stay nice and moist on the inside.
- Cut into 12 squares and serve! P.S. These squares also freeze very well.