Creamy & comforting oats bowl with peanut butter and banana. This high fiber, protein-filled breakfast will satisfy your hunger and keep you going!
Oats is an ultra satiating cereal, thanks to the high amount of soluble fiber it contains. This fiber slows down digestion, reduces the rate at which blood glucose levels rise after a meal, and expands in your stomach to help create a long lasting feeling of fulness.
Adding a healthy unsaturated fat, like peanut butter, to your oats creates an even more filling breakfast, that will keep you full for even longer. This is because fats aid in slowing down digestion. Peanut butter also contains protein, further adding to the nutritional benefit of adding it to your oats. BONUS – it gives the oats a deliciously creamy nutty taste.
I love sweetening oats naturally with fruit, as this also adds additional fiber, vitamins and minerals. A touch of honey (or sweetener of choice) is nice too, and totally OK to include, provided that you limit this to about 1 tsp. Remember, if you use free sugars (like honey, syrup, or sugar), moderation is key. Limiting your total daily intake to about 3 – 6 tsp per day is a good way to ensure that you are not going overboard. If you prefer artificial sweetener, this is also fine, but ideally use the same degree of moderation that you would use with sugar.
So here we go. A deliciously simple creamy way to eat your oats:
Creamy peanut butter banana oats
- 1/3 cup oats or oat bran
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp honey or sweetener of choice optional. You could omit this or add chopped dates instead
- 1 cup boiled water
- 1/2 med banana store the other half in it's skin in the fridge for later
- 1/2 cup milk of choice for serving
- In a microwaveable bowl, place the oats, salt, peanut butter, honey (if using) and boiled water. Stir, then microwave on high for 1 minute. You may want to give it a stir after 30 seconds, to make sure that the oats does not boil over.
- Let your oats stand to thicken for 5 minutes (or longer) while you get ready for the day.
- When ready to serve, microwave for another minute, then top with sliced banana and milk. Enjoy!
- STOVETOP METHOD: bring to the boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Top with banana and milk & serve.