Yes, it is 100% possible for a healthy breakfast to be indulgent, decadent, and chocolaty!
This is my ultimate favourite oats recipe. I was so addicted to this, that I ate it for breakfast nearly every day for a whole year. My family loves it too – and beg me to make it every time I visit. Even my brother, who usually dislikes oats, loves this recipe. You can’t say you don’t like oats, if you have not had chocolate oats.
This recipe is made with cocoa powder, and sweetened with dates and a touch of (oprional) honey / sugar / sweetener. It tastes like a treat, but its 100% wholesome and nutritious. You can eat it every day (like me) if you want, without any worries.
While chocolate is usually high in added sugars and saturated fat, cocoa powder is basically fat- and sugar-free. You can enjoy as much cocoa as your heart desires (unless you have a medical reason to limit it, e.g. CKD). So if you are a chocolate lover, this should be great news for you. You can use cocoa powder in smoothies, smoothie bowls, warm drinks, and so much more.
Oats is one of the healthiest grains out there, packed with fiber and nutrients. There are so many evidence-based health benefits to regularly eating oats, including blood sugar control, lowering cholesterol levels, feeding the gut microbiome, and healthy weight management. You really are boosting your health by finding a delicious way to eat your oats. I hope that you will enjoy this recipe.
Decadent and indulgent chocolate oats
- 1/3 cup oats or oat bran
- pinch of salt
- 1 heaped tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chopped dates
- 1 tsp honey, sugar, xylitol, or 1 sweetener optional – you could increase the dates to 2 tbsp if you wish to omit this
- 1 cup boiled water make this more if you like
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts, e.g. almonds you could swop for a nut butter if you prefer
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped fruit for garnish optional
- 1/2 cup milk of choice for serving
- Place the oats, salt, cocoa powder, chopped dates, sweetener of choice, and boiled water in a microwaveable bowl, stir, then microwave for 1 minute on high, stirring after 30 seconds. Make sure that the oats doesn't boil over. Your bowl needs to be big enough.
- Let the oats stand to thicken for at least 5 minutes. Even better, go get ready for the day and come back after 15 minutes. The longer it stands, the more the sweetness from the dates will seep into the oats.
- When you are ready to eat, pop your oats in the micro for another minute, then garnish with your topping ingredients of choice. Pour some milk over and enjoy!!
- ALTERNATIVE METHOD: cook on the stovetop on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until your oats have thickened sufficiently. Add toppings and milk and enjoy.