Overnight oats if a perfect solution for those who don’t have time in the morning or who like to eat on-the-go. You can even make a few jars in one go, then store them in the fridge to grab and go.
If you don’t like prepping breakfast in advance, you can make this recipe in minutes by simply throwing all the ingredients together in a bowl and microwaving on high for 1 – 2 minutes. However soaking overnight does allow the sweetness from the fruit to seep into the oats, adding to the deliciousness…
Oats is super high in soluble fiber, the type that helps to control your blood sugar levels and lower your cholesterol. Eating oats several times per week has wonderful benefits for heart health, maintaining a healthy weight, and even promoting optimal gut health.
There are SO MANY delicious ways of enjoying your oats. Here is one of my favourites:
Apple pie oats
- 1/3 cup oats not instant
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon more or less to taste
- 1 tbsp raisins or chopped dates optional – adds extra sweetness
- 2 tbsp applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 small apple
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts (e.g. walnuts or almonds) OPTIONAL
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the topping ingredients, into a jar or bowl and combine.
- Cover or seal and leave in the fridge overnight. Alternatively, microwave on high for 1 – 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so. If you use the microwave, make sure that you use a deep microwave-safe bowl.
- Chop the apple, place it in a microwave-safe bowl, then sprinkle with cinnamon. Microwave on high for about 4 minutes.
- Top your oats with the 'stewed' apple and optional nuts, and serve.