This scrumptious Mediterranean-inspired dish is a delicious addition to a Mezze inspired meal, but works well as a starter or a light meal. Bonus – it’s also a really yum way to get your omega-3’s in, along with loads of other nutrients and fiber.
No oil added to this recipe, but a small drizzle of olive oil will definitely go down well here if you want. The salsa is pretty rustic, and you can add or remove ingredients based on your preference. Play around and have fun.
Baked aubergines with Mediterranean sardine salsa
- 2 med aubergines sliced into thick 2 cm rounds (this prevents drying out)
- salt & pepper
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander chopped
- 2 ripe red tomatoes chopped
- 10 green olives pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped preserved lemon if you don't have this, zest of one lemon or lime will do the trick
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tin sardines oil drained
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220 C (200 fan)
- Season the aubergine rounds with salt and pepper, then place on a prepared baking tray. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the rounds have browned and are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make your salsa by combining all the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl and seasoning to perfection.
- When your aubergines are ready, lay them out on a serving platter or plate and top with your salsa. Enjoy!