A cross between a lasagna and an aubergine parmigiana, this comforting bake does not need a white sauce or a mountain of cheese. Lentils take the place of mince, boosting the fiber, but you could add mince for a meaty flavour. You could even play around with swopping the aubergine for another veg, like zucchini or pumpkin. This rustic dish can handle a lot of customization, so have fun!
Aubergine parmigiana lasagna with lentils
- 2 medium aubergines sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil or non-stick spray
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dry green herbs like sage, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary you can use a mix of these depending on what you have at home
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- about 10 dry lasagna sheets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese nutritional yeast or vegan cheese for vegan
- Preheat the oven to 220 C
- Fry the onion in 1 Tbsp oil in a large saucepan on high heat until soft. If you want to make the recipe oil free, use a non-stick spray or bit of water and keep stirring to stop them sticking.
- While the onions are on the go, smash, chop and add the garlic, dry herbs, 1 tsp of salt and a generous grind of black pepper.
- Once you're happy that the onions are soft and starting to brown, add the canned tomatoes, the lentils and an extra 2 cans worth of water. Cook just until the sauce is looking sexy – about 5 minutes or so. Your lentils will still cook in the oven so don't worry if they are still a bit chewy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, adding more pepper, salt, and/or herbs.
- Line your baking tray with paper or spray/oil to stop the food sticking, then start with a layer of aubergines, then tomato mixture, then dry lasagna sheets, then aubergines, tomato, lasagna, etc. finishing with tomato mixture in the final layer.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and remove the lid. Add your cheese on top and pop back into the oven, uncovered, for a further 10 mins.
- Serve with a big fresh salad.