Fresh green seasonal veggies seared in a hot pan until just tender, garnished with lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Asparagus is used in this recipe, but can easily be replaced with another firm veg like green beans, mangetout, sugar-snap peas, or baby broccoli. This recipe works well as a side dish. You could also serve it as a light meal along with fried or poached eggs. Enjoy!
Stir-fried greens with lemon and Parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil non-stick olive oil spray works well too
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 2 -3 spring onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or finely diced
- 10 asparagus spears or sub with green beans, sugar-snap peas, mangetout or baby broccoli
- 150 – 200 g kale stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon or lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Using a large non-stick frying pan, fry the leeks, spring onions and garlic until tender, about 2 – 3 minutes. You can decide whether you prefer olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Chop the rougher ends off the asparagus, dice them, and then add them to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the asparagus spears (keep them whole) and stir-fry for a minute or so. You want them to soften slightly but stay crisp. If not using asparagus, add your veg of choice and cook until just tender.
- Remove the whole asparagus spears (or your substitute veg) from the pan and set aside.
- Add the roughly chopped kale along with a splash of water, and cook until bright green and slightly wilted.
- Turn off the heat, add the lemon juice, then season to perfection with salt and pepper
- Add the asparagus spears (or your veg of choice), and garnish with Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy!