Meet the falafel of Mexico! These plant-based black bean balls have a very pleasing texture and a meaty taste, and are bursting with Mexican flavours. They are packed with fiber and protein too. Perfect served with a colorful salad (e.g. rainbow quinoa salad, recipe below) or as part of a Mexican bowl meal.
Mexican Black Bean Balls
- 1 can Black beans drained
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander, and paprika
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 1 red onion very finely diced
- 1 small red chili seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 handful of fresh coriander chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- bread crumbs from 2 small slices brown / wholewheat bread gluten-free bread works too
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt more or less to taste
- A few grinds of black pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 230 C (200 fan). Prepare a large baking tray by lining with foil / parchment paper and spraying lightly with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, crush the black beans roughly with a fork or potato masher. Do not overdo it – you still want to see some whole black beans in the mix. About 50% of the beans should have a 'pureed' texture.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients and combine well.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or your hands, form golf-ball sized bean balls and place on the prepared tray.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the balls are sightly browned. Serve 3 – 4 balls per person with guacamole and a colorful salad.
Rainbow quinoa salad
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 2 cups raw cauliflower rice optional, but it adds bulk and fiber
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 spring onions finely diced
- 1/2 cucumber chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped into small pieces
- 1 handful fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh mint finely chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese for garnish
- In a large salad bowl, add all the ingredients except for the salt and pepper and feta.
- Mix well, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the crumbled feta cheese and enjoy!